The delicious Taiwanese dish known as “Taipei egg rolls” is gaining popularity all over the world. Thanks to the popularity of air fryers, you may now enjoy this tasty snack with much less oil than in the past. Here is a step-by-step tutorial on using an air fryer to make crispy Taipei egg rolls.
Crispy Taipei Egg Rolls
|Taipei Egg Roll Wrappers||1 pack (approx. 15-20 sheets)||Look for fresh wrappers in the refrigerated section of Asian grocery stores for best results.|
|Minced Pork||1 cup||Lean pork is ideal. Chicken or shrimp can also be used as alternatives.|
|Fresh Garlic (minced)||3 cloves||Freshly minced garlic imparts a more aromatic flavor compared to store-bought minced garlic.|
|Yellow Onions (finely chopped)||1 medium-sized||Adds a slight sweetness and texture. Can substitute with green onions for a milder flavor.|
|Soy Sauce||2 tablespoons||Opt for low-sodium versions if monitoring salt intake. Tamari can be used as a gluten-free alternative.|
|Cornstarch||1 tablespoon||Acts as a binding agent for the sealing paste.|
|Water||1 tablespoon||Mixed with cornstarch to create a sealing paste for the egg roll wrappers.|
|Oil Spray||As needed||Olive oil or avocado oil sprays are ideal. This light coat gives the egg rolls their golden appearance.|
|Optional Fillings/Vegetables||1 cup (combined)||Common choices include shredded cabbage, julienned carrots, or finely sliced bell peppers.|
|Optional Spices/Seasonings||To taste||Consider adding a pinch of five-spice powder, freshly ground black pepper, or a splash of sesame oil.|
- Prepare the Filling:
- Cook your chosen filling ingredients. For a traditional minced pork filling, you might sauté the pork with garlic, onions, soy sauce, and other desired seasonings.
- Wrap the Egg Rolls:
- Place a spoonful of your prepared filling in the center of an egg roll wrapper.
- Fold in the sides and roll the wrapper tightly around the filling.
- Use a mixture of cornstarch and water as a paste to seal the end of the wrapper.
- Preheat the Air Fryer:
- Set your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) and let it preheat for a few minutes.
- Prepare Egg Rolls for Air Frying:
- Lightly spray each egg roll with oil. This helps them turn golden and crispy.
- Arrange the egg rolls in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they don’t overlap.
- Air Fry the Egg Rolls:
- Cook the egg rolls at 375°F (190°C) for 10-12 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, carefully flip each egg roll to ensure even browning.
- Serve and Enjoy:
- Once golden brown and crispy, remove the egg rolls from the air fryer.
- Let them cool for a couple of minutes and serve with your choice of dipping sauce.
Don’t Overfill: If the wrappers are too full, they may rupture when cooking.
Make sure the edges are well sealed to stop the contents from spilling out.
Make sure meat fillings have achieved a safe internal temperature before serving by using a cooking thermometer.
A healthier option to conventional frying techniques is air frying. You may get crispy, delectable Taipei egg rolls without using excessive oil by following this recipe. Take pleasure in the ideal fusion of savory filling and crispy wrapper in the convenience of your own home!